Cake Plates


How many objects of one thing does it take to create a collection?
I have seen collections that fill rooms and collections that fill a shelf.
To me, a collection begins with one and becomes a lifelong passion.
This is my story with cake plates. 


I have the plastic domed ones you use to carry cakes to events and parties. But, to me, there’s nothing more wonderful, more elegant than a cake plate to elevate the dessert to regal heights.
Cake plates can be flat or footed and they can be stacked.


My collection of footed cake plates at the moment consists of a dozen that I have inherited and collected over the years. I was gifted this jewel of a cake plate this Christmas by my son. 


It is extremely heavy and ornate. It is one of those cake plates that can take on various other styles – it can become a punch bowl, a snack tray/chip – n- dip, and salad bowl.
I love it not only for its versatility but also for its beauty.


I am particularly fond of this green jadeite cake plate – it is wide and reminds me of spring. This small, dark-green cake plate was a gift from my friend. it has served well as a base for teapots and flower arrangements.


I love the detail in these cake plates – the artistry and the craftsmanship in the design.



I love this white, lacy cake plate – it goes so well with everything.  I found this along with a number of other items in this line at one of my favorite shopping haunts – TJMaxx.



A couple years back, my daughters and I were visiting Taccoa, Georgia. We stayed at an amazing B & B that I shared with you (here). I found this gorgeous cake plate with oriental styled Peonies. I adore peonies and was thrilled to find this treasure.



In every detail, cake plates are gorgeous – from their tops to their footed bottoms! Their versatility is boundless – they can elevate desserts, flower arrangements, tea sets, cloches – and more –
Cake Plates are definitely a Delightsome thing to collect.



You can even create your own! I made this cake plate and a few others in the past. I will share with you soon my adventures and discoveries in creating my own cake plates very soon.