First To Change

from this...

to this.
I find it just as much fun to clear away the Christmas décor as I do putting it up.
My mind switches to a different mood, from one of festivity to one of serenity.


Our living room fireplace mantel was the first place I chose to transform the room once again, to set the tone.


I have been looking forward to using the large ceiling tin I found at the Country Living Fair last fall. I love the subtle colors and the patina.


The ceiling tin was my jumping point in selecting items for a serene setting and tone.


I noticed that the urns I had with the silk Magnolia flowrs had similar coloring to the ceiling tin – they were the first to be added.


Initially I added one of my favorite busts in the center, then added the other to see if I could pull of having both along with the urns – usually it is one or the other.


I played around with a few of my clotches until I came up with this arrangement.




 I added the fleur de lis paperweight to add color and texture as well as to complement the fleur de lis pattern in the lantern to the left.



I recently found this lantern at Michaels and like the balance it creates with the other lantern.



I put a linen table runner beneath it all to add a softened texture.
There’s a large nail in the brick that the tin did not cover so I needed something to hang there. I first chose a painting, my favorite, I thought it looked great, but it was a little too much for the spot.



I then chose this grapevine wreath to add to the colors and textures already included. Now it is done.



I like the overall look, to me it does evoke the subtle and serene colors of Winter.